Afghan official says 18 killed in suicide car bomb attack

A boy walks passed damaged vehicles at the site of a suicide attack in eastern Khost province, Afghanistan, Saturday, May 27, 2017. At least 18 people, mostly civilians, were killed Saturday when a suicide car bomber targeted a convoy of provincial security forces in eastern Afghanistan, an Interior Ministry official said. (AP Photos/Nishanuddin Khan)

An Interior Ministry official says at least 18 people were killed when a suicide car bomber targeted a convoy of provincial security forces in eastern Afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan — At least 18 people, mostly civilians, were killed Saturday when a suicide car bomber targeted a convoy of provincial security forces in eastern Afghanistan, an Interior Ministry official said.

Najib Danish, the ministry's deputy spokesman, said the target of the bomber was a group of guards providing security for U.S. forces in Khost province, but most of the victims in the attack were civilians.

Zabihullah Mujahid, a spokesman for Taliban, claimed responsibility for the attack in a media statement. Taliban insurgents have increased their attacks against Afghan security forces since announcing their spring offensive last month.

The security forces were attacked near the province's main bus station, said Danish. "Six other civilians including two small children were wounded in the attack," he said.

The attack, which took place on a road between the bus station and the provincial football stadium, damaged or destroyed about a dozen shops and several vehicles.

The attack came on the first day of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month.

Mubariz Zadran, spokesman for the provincial governor, said the casualty number could rise because some of the wounded were in critical condition.

Meanwhile, at least six civilians and 15 fighters from an Islamic State group affiliate were killed in eastern Nangarhar province, said Attullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor.

Separately, two police officers were shot and killed in Kandarhar by unknown gunmen late Friday, said Samim Khpolwak, spokesman for the provincial governor. He said another policeman was wounded in the shooting and an investigation was underway.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

You may also like these

UN reports rise in Afghan war deaths, blames...

Jul 17, 2017

A U.N. report says Afghanistan's protracted war killed a record number of civilians during the...

IS targets Iraq Embassy in Kabul; all 4 attackers...

Jul 31, 2017

IS suicide bombing targets Iraq Embassy in Kabul; hours-long gunbattle ends hours later with all 4...

Pentagon: 2 US service members killed in...

Aug 2, 2017

Pentagon spokesman says suicide bombing attack on a NATO convoy in southern Afghanistan has left...

Taliban suicide bomber targets Kabul bank, kills...

Aug 29, 2017

Taliban claim responsibility for suicide bombing in central Kabul near banks, US Embassy, that...

US historian who spent decades in Afghanistan...

Sep 10, 2017

An American historian who spent decades in Afghanistan working to preserve the heritage of the...

About Us

The Journalist Report publishes timely news updates around the clock. We have a group of journalists around the globe to deliver the latest news around so that we can get our users connected.

Contact us: sales[at]thejournalistreport.com

Subscribe Now!