Turkey vows to keep investigating Jamal Khashoggi's killing

FILE - In this Dec. 15, 2014, file photo, Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi speaks during a press conference in Manama, Bahrain. Nearly one year has passed since the Oct. 2 killing of Khashoggi, whose body has still not been found, no one has been convicted and questions continue to linger over the crown prince’s culpability. At the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly, relatives of activists detained in Saudi Arabia, and Khashoggi’s fiancée, wondered why those responsible haven’t been punished. (AP Photo/Hasan Jamali, File)

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country will continue with efforts to shed light on the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi

ANKARA, Turkey — Days ahead of the anniversary of the grisly slaying of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday that his country will press ahead with efforts to shed light on the killing.

In a Washington Post op-ed, Erdogan described the journalist's killing by a Saudi hit squad as "arguably the most influential and controversial incident of the 21st century" and blamed the murder on a "shadow state within the kingdom's government — not the Saudi state or people."

The Turkish leader wrote: "We will keep asking the same questions... Where are Khashoggi's remains? Who signed the Saudi journalist's death warrant? Who dispatched the 15 killers, including a forensic expert, aboard the two planes to Istanbul?"

Khashoggi entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, 2018, to collect a document that he needed to marry his Turkish fiancee. Agents of the Saudi government killed Khashoggi inside the consulate and apparently dismembered his body, which has never been found.

Saudi Arabia initially offered multiple, shifting accounts about Khashoggi's disappearance. As international pressure mounted, the kingdom eventually settled on the explanation that he was killed by rogue officials in a brawl inside their consulate.

The kingdom has put 11 people on trial in non-public proceedings. No one has been convicted so far.

Erdogan criticized the court proceedings in Saudi Arabia, which he said lacked transparency and maintained that some of Khashoggi's murderers "enjoy de facto freedom." The court proceedings "tarnish the image of Saudi Arabia," Erdogan added.

A U.N. report released earlier this year asserted that Saudi Arabia bore responsibility for the killing and that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's possible role should be investigated.

On Sunday, Prince Mohammed said in a television interview that he takes "full responsibility" for Khashoggi's death but denied allegations that he ordered it.

"This was a heinous crime," Prince Mohammed, 34, told "60 Minutes." ''But I take full responsibility as a leader in Saudi Arabia, especially since it was committed by individuals working for the Saudi government."

You may also like these

Taliban suicide car bombing in Kabul kills 24...

Jul 24, 2017

Taliban suicide car bombing targets minibus with Afghan government employees, killing 24

Afghan official says blast at Shiite mosque kills...

Aug 1, 2017

An Afghan hospital official says the death toll in the suicide attack inside a minority Shiite...

The Latest: 2 US troops killed in Afghanistan...

Aug 2, 2017

Two U.S. service members were killed in a suicide bombing attack on a NATO convoy near Kandarhar in...

At least 20 people killed in mosque attack in...

Aug 25, 2017

Officials say an attack on a mosque in the Afghan capital of Kabul has killed at least 20 people...

US historian who spent decades in Afghanistan...

Sep 10, 2017

An American historian who spent decades in Afghanistan working to preserve the heritage of the...

About Us

The Journalist Report publishes timely news updates around the clock. We have a group of journalists around the globe to deliver the latest news around so that we can get our users connected.

Contact us: sales[at]thejournalistreport.com

Subscribe Now!