Turkish journalists sentenced for links to US-based cleric

A security guard adjusts barriers outside a court where the trial of journalists of the now-defunct Zaman newspaper on charges of aiding terror groups was held, in Istanbul, Friday, July 6, 2018. A court in Istanbul has convicted six journalists of terror-related charges, sentencing them to lengthy prison terms in a case that had heightened concerns over freedoms of expression and media. The court, however, on Friday acquitted five other journalists of the now-defunct Zaman newspaper, which was close to U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Turkey blames for a failed coup in 2016. Gulen denies involvement. (AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)

A court in Istanbul has convicted six journalists of terror-related charges, sentencing them to lengthy prison terms in a case that heightened concerns over freedoms of expression and media

ISTANBUL — A court in Istanbul convicted six journalists of terror-related charges Friday in a case that heightened concerns over the freedom of expression and media rights in Turkey. The staff members of a now-defunct newspaper received lengthy prison sentences.

However, the court acquitted five other former journalists for Zaman, a newspaper which was close to a U.S.-based cleric whom Turkey blames for a failed military coup. The cleric, Fethullah Gulen, denies masterminding the 2016 coup attempt.

The 11 defendants were arrested shortly after the coup. They were charged with membership in a terror organization, violating the Turkish Constitution, attempting to overthrow the government and other crimes. The court convicted the six of membership in an armed terror organization, but dropped the other charges.

"(The) fact that the legitimate work of journalists has not been recognized before the court today is a clear message that journalists will feel for a while," Erol Onderoglu of the media rights group Reporters without Borders told The Associated Press.

Columnist Mumtazer Turkone and Zaman's Ankara bureau chief, Mustafa Onal, were sentenced to more than 10 years in prison. Journalist Ibrahim Karayegen received nine years, while columnists Ali Bulac, Sahin Alpay and Ahmet Turan Alkan each received over eight years. 

They were expected to appeal their convictions. The court ruled that Turkone and Onal would remain imprisoned pending their appeals.

"Unfortunately, the judiciary in Turkey is maybe having its worst days in its history. It's under heavy political pressure," lawyer Faruk Zorba, who represented Alkan, told the AP outside the courthouse.

"The (Gulen) organization is a religious structure in its basis, but the defendants on trial here are mostly people who've espoused a secular lifestyle," he said.

Alkan's wife expressed pleasure at her husband's release after nearly two years in detention.

"I am very happy," Suheyla Alkan said. "I thank the Turkish judiciary. "

Since the coup attempt, some 50,000 people, including dozens of journalists, were arrested in a massive crackdown on alleged Gulen supporters. Some 110,000 people have been fired from public sector jobs. At least 140 media organizations were shut down.

Zaman was raided in March 2016 after a court placed it under the management of trustees and later shuttered for allegedly serving as a mouthpiece for Gulen's movement.

Earlier this year, three other prominent journalists were given life sentences for alleged links to Gulen.

__

Associated Press writers Suzan Fraser in Ankara and Mehmet Guzel in Istanbul contributed.

You may also like these

The Latest: Australia stands by Afghanistan after...

Jun 1, 2017

Australia's prime minister has told Parliament that he telephoned Afghan President Ashraf Ghani "to...

Watchdog: Tight security hinders oversight of US...

Aug 1, 2017

The U.S. watchdog tasked with overseeing the spending of U.S. aid to Afghanistan said unprecedented...

Pentagon: 2 US service members killed in...

Aug 2, 2017

Pentagon spokesman says suicide bombing attack on a NATO convoy in southern Afghanistan has left...

US military: Georgian soldier killed in latest...

Aug 4, 2017

US military says soldier killed in latest suicide attack north of Afghan capital was from country...

US soldier killed in battle with IS in Afghanistan

Aug 17, 2017

US military says American soldier killed, several wounded in battle with Islamic State militants in...

About Us

The Journalist Report publishes timely news updates around the clock. We have a group of journalists around the globe to deliver the latest news around so that we can get our users connected.

Contact us: sales[at]thejournalistreport.com

Subscribe Now!