US returns first group of asylum seekers to Nuevo Laredo

Lucia Ascencio, of Venezuela, her husband and their two sons, arrive back to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, as part of the first group of migrants to be returned to Tamaulipas state under the so-called Remain in Mexico program for U.S. asylum seekers, Tuesday, July 9, 2019. “We hadn’t thought that they were going to send us back,” said Lucia Ascencio. Her family was given a date in September to return for the next step in their process. (AP Photo/Salvador Gonzalez)

The so-called Remain in Mexico program for U.S. asylum seekers has expanded to another Mexican border city with the arrival of a first group of migrants to Nuevo Laredo

NUEVO LAREDO, Mexico — The so-called Remain in Mexico program for U.S. asylum seekers expanded to another Mexican border city Tuesday with the arrival of a first group of migrants to Nuevo Laredo.

The 10 migrants had crossed the border to seek U.S. asylum Monday and will now have to wait in Mexico as their applications are processed.

Lucía Ascencio of Venezuela had waited for three months in Nuevo Laredo with her husband and two young sons just for the chance to make her asylum petition in Laredo, Texas. She was stunned by her return to Mexico as they walked from the bridge carrying plastic bags containing a bottle of water, a bottle of juice and an orange.

"We hadn't thought that they were going to send us back," she said. Her family was given a date in September to return for the next step in their process.

A spokeswoman with Mexico's immigration agency confirmed that the first group of 10 returned Tuesday. U.S. Department of Homeland Security officials did not immediately comment.

The U.S. program, known formally as the Migrant Protection Protocols, acts as a deterrent for applicants who previously were released into the U.S. with notices to appear in court.

The program was already operating in the Mexican border cities of Tijuana, Mexicali and Ciudad Juarez. More than 18,000 mostly Central American migrants had been returned to those cities through the first week in July, according Mexican officials.

Nuevo Laredo is in Tamaulipas state, which the U.S. State Department warns Americans not to visit due to kidnappings and other crimes.

The program's expansion to Tamaulipas was announced after the U.S. and Mexico reached an agreement to avert threatened tariffs on Mexican exports last month.

The state is notorious for violent drug cartels that have controlled its border cities. But its long shared border with Texas also includes the busiest sector for U.S. Border Patrol's migrant apprehensions.

Migrant shelters in cities along Mexico's northern border have been swamped for months. Like Ascencio, migrants who want to apply for U.S. asylum wait for months to get the opportunity. The Remain in Mexico cities are even more affected because the migrants are sent back to wait for a process that could last more than a year.

At the Casa AMAR migrant shelter in Nuevo Laredo, director Aaron Mendez said there was already a "humanitarian crisis" that the shelter lacked the resources to deal with.

"If they could have 50 shelters here in the city it still wouldn't be enough," Mendez said. Authorities had originally said 150 to 200 migrants could be returned to Nuevo Laredo daily.

On Monday, Foreign Secretary Marcelo Ebrard said that 327 migrants awaiting U.S. asylum hearings had found jobs in northern Mexico and that companies had offered 3,700 positions.

The federal government has pledged to assist border cities in accommodating the migrants, but details have been few and local shelters complain that the new government of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has actually cut funding that they had received to support migrants. Ebrard said they had arranged with 16 shelters to provide places for migrants to stay, but that would only meet a fraction of the need.

Several civil rights organizations in the U.S. have sued the government over the Migrant Protection Protocols. Many migrants say they fear that staying in some Mexican border cities could jeopardize their personal safety.

___

Associated Press writer Juan Antonio Calderon reported this story in Nuevo Laredo and AP writer Chrisopher Sherman reported from Mexico City. AP writers María Verza in Mexico City and Colleen Long in Washington contributed to this report.

You may also like these

Afghans mourn, a day after massive truck bombing...

Jun 1, 2017

Afghans mourn loss of family members, friends and colleagues day after massive truck bombing in...

Bombers kill at least 6 attending Kabul funeral

Jun 3, 2017

Afghan officials says a trio of suicide bombers in Kabul have killed at least six people attending...

The Latest: Afghanistan says 2 Iraq embassy staff...

Jul 31, 2017

Afghanistan's Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish has said that two Afghan employees died in...

Afghan official says blast at Shiite mosque kills...

Aug 1, 2017

An Afghan hospital official says the death toll in the suicide attack inside a minority Shiite...

The Latest: 2 US troops killed in Afghanistan...

Aug 2, 2017

Two U.S. service members were killed in a suicide bombing attack on a NATO convoy near Kandarhar in...

About Us

The Journalist Report publishes timely news updates around the clock. We have a group of journalists around the globe to deliver the latest news around so that we can get our users connected.

Contact us: sales[at]thejournalistreport.com

Subscribe Now!